Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy [Module A]
Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy
Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFCT) is a structured approach to couple therapy formulated in the early 80’s by Drs. Susan Johnson and Leslie Greenberg. It offers a comprehensive theory of adult love and attachment, as well as a process for healing distressed relationships. This experiential/systemic therapy focuses on helping partners restructure the emotional responses that maintain their negative interaction patterns.
Strengths of EFCT
- Clear, explicit conceptualizations of relationship distress and adult love. These conceptualizations are supported by empirical research on the nature of marital distress and adult attachment.
- Change strategies and interventions are specified. The change process has been mapped into nine steps and specific change events.
- Research studies found that 70-75% of couples who went through EFCT moved from distress to recovery and about 90% showed significant improvements.
EFCT Programme Overview
The training programme in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFCT) is progressive in nature. Learners begin by acquiring the conceptual underpinnings (Module A) and then progress to skills-based learning (Module B & C).
Course Content – Module A
- Learn the theoretical underpinnings of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy.
- Understand the negative interactional cycle and explore underlying needs in a couple’s relationship.
- Identify primary emotions in couple interactions
- Understand the processes to systematically shift a couples negative interactions into safe, empowering emotional connections.
- Learn interventions by accessing key elements of emotional distress and de-escalating destructive interaction patterns.
- Re-structure positive interactions that renew trust and intimacy.
- Learn to overcome therapeutic impasses in couple therapy.
WORKSHOP PRESENTER | PROF. LIU TING
Liu Ting, Ph.D., completed her doctorate at Purdue University, USA, and she did Child Development and Family Studies with a specialisation in Marriage and Family Therapy. She is a Pennsylvania licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and an Approved Supervisor with the American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy. Dr. Liu specialises in multi-cultural applications of EFCT, infidelity issues, mood disorders, and Emotionally Focused Family Therapy with adolescents. She is also a certified EFT trainer and supervisor. She provides training and supervision in the EFT model of couples and family therapy internationally, in particular Asia.
When & Where
11-14 Jan 2022 18- 21 Jan 2022 (Tues- Fri)
Venue: Online (Zoom)
- $1,600 – Early Bird Fee [before 11 Dec 2021]
- $1700 – Normal Fee
- Payment is needed to confirm your registration
This module fulfills part of the requirements to become a certified EFCT therapist. This certification is recognised by the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) founded by Dr. Susan Johnson. Please refer to their website (link is external) for more information.
- Contact email@example.com
- Mobile 8141 8002